Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why I Run

I got the inspiration to write this post from the LiveWire Fitness blog, so I wanted to share why I started running which is different from why I still run today.

Let me start off by saying that I never thought I would be one of "those people" you see running early in the morning or in the evening.  I thought running was pointless unless it was for some type of sport like football or basketball.  My mind would eventually be changed and now I start looking forward to my weekend runs midway through the week.

I first started running around June of 2012 to improve on my cardiovascular fitness and it morphed into something more.  I had been doing boot-camp type exercises for several months and was looking for a way to further my fitness journey.

Today, I run in part as a get away from the stress of life and I guess now you can consider me an addict as I ran 6 half marathons (should have been 7!) in 2013 and am planning to run a similar number of half marathons plus a full marathon this spring!

I love the challenge that comes with running.  I am always out to try beat my best time/pace.  I get excited and motivated when I run a great pace.  It makes it that much easier to put on my running gear and go out for another run a few days later.

I also run for the fun of it.  Despite the pain I might feel after a long run, I really do enjoy it even if it's not always a good run for me.  The best part might be the runners high that I experience when finishing a run.

I'm already signed up for 4 halfs and will likely run at least 3 to 4 more in the fall/winter in addition to my first marathon in May.  I have a page with all the races I have run, races I am currently signed up for, and races I want to run at some point in the future.

Right now I do not participate in triathlons but I won't rule that out in the future.  The biggest barrier would be that I do not own a bike.  I also would need to find a gym where I could do some work on my swimming.  I have a gym in mind but I need to see what the cost might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment